Tabs

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Paiton's Surgery

Well as everybody (should) know, Paiton had her surgery yesterday. She had a tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy, and bronchoscopy. This was all due to her sleep study showing that she had sleep apnea and definitely other sleep problems as well as being too small for her age.
I was sooo nervous about the surgery, mostly about her being put to sleep.
We got to the hospital that morning and Paiton wasn't too sure why we were there but did great waiting.
My parents came to meet us and take care of Quinn while we got Paiton all situated and ready to go - we didn't really know what it would entail. We got there at 8:30 and her surgery was at 10:30. We got taken back to a room where we just waited for a long time. We got Paiton into a little gown. The doctor came in and talked to us and so did the anesthesiologist. I was worried about her being put under with the bad Croup she had but they seemed to think she would be fine. They gave her a little oxygen mask with stickers on it to play with and get used to. They had smeared strawberry chapstick to the inside so it smelled good and P would want to smell it when it came time to get the gas. Then I got into a "bunny suit" and hair net and we were ready to head back to the operating room. She kissed Daddy goodbye and off we went.
I got to go back to the OR with her and hold her while they put her to sleep, which was sooo sad. I held her on my lap and they gave her her mask to breathe into. About 3 breaths in she just went totally still with her eyes open just staring into nothing. They told me that she was out and her eyes fell shut and her whole body went limp. They had me lay her on the table and kiss her goodbye. That was really hard for me and I started to cry at that point - I had been doing so well until then!!
I went out to the waiting room to update everyone and to wait for news on her surgery. Not too long after that the doctor came out to talk to us. Matt and I went into a room to hear what she had to say about the surgery. She told us that it went well and Paiton was doing fine. She said it was a really good thing they did the surgery for a couple of reasons. She said her tonsils weren't necessarily big but that they were necrotic - as in dying. She said that the tonsils are usually in a capsule and that Paiton's weren't anymore because her capsule was just gone. In fact, she said the tonsils fell apart when she took them out. She said her adenoids were big and she showed us pictures of everything and all the pus that was everywhere in her throat.
When I asked her more about the tonsils she said that basically Paiton has probably been sick all her life. She has probably had chronic sore throats and ear infections, but we never knew and she has never known any different. Also she probably wasn't eating like she should because of the poor state her throat was in and the pain she had. As a mom, hearing that your child has most likely been sick and in pain most of their life breaks your heart. I am definitely glad we had this done. The doctor also thinks it will help her sleep better of course. I am glad we did it when we did since her poor little tonsils were rotting away. :(
Then we got to go back to recovery and see Paiton. I was a little annoyed because she was already awake and crying when we went back there. I thought I'd get to hold her while she woke up, but instead she woke up with strangers and in a strange place. The nurses were messing with her IV when we went in there, but then I got to hold her and we got to love on her. She was (of course) very emotional, tired, and loopy.
She slept on me for awhile while they got the room ready for her to be admitted for the night.
This is her sleeping on me in recovery:
Then we went to our room and my parents, Quinn, and Matt's mom were all there waiting for her. We got her settled into bed and got her a popsicle:
(her wrist is fine - it was all taped to a board so that she wouldn't pull the IV out - which she tried to do.)
Not too long after that she fell back asleep for awhile.
Of course she was still asking about Quinn and wanting snuggles with him. She wanted him to watch Tangled with her, so he did!
A nice volunteer brought her this dog, Ike, whom she instantly fell in love with:
Her room was teeny tiny. It had her bed, a rocking chair, and a little chair that folded out into a cot and that was it - for all 4 of us for the night!! :/ Matt had to go work for a bit that night so I was on my own with both kids for a little while.
When Paiton woke up that night she wanted chicken nuggets and french fries for dinner! They told her she could eat whatever she wanted, so that's what she got!
She was doing pretty good and even wanted to have a little chat with Brother:
He loves to just stare and stare at her!
After her chicken nuggets she wanted Doritos!
Crazy girl!!
She slept pretty good that night, only waking up a couple times. I let Matt sleep in the cot since I knew I wouldn't be sleeping, and I alternated between sitting next to P and feeding Quinn in the rocking chair. Because there was nothing else to do with him I had to hold him all night! I got lots of good snuggles :)
The next morning:
Paiton ate good the night of her surgery, but the next day she wouldn't really eat or drink. They wouldn't let us leave until she ate some food so we were there until the afternoon. At 6 that morning the doctor had come in and talked to me. She was still pleased with the surgery and the results of it. She also told me that Paiton's palate in her mouth is really arched and that now that she had this surgery she should be able to breathe through her nose now and that her palate would come down lower, which will also help with the eating. She was still concerned with Paiton's cough since she'd had the Croup for so long. She had been getting a steroid in her IV and breathing treatments in the hospital but Dr. Beck decided she needed a nebulizer to take home to continue the steroid breathing treatments.
She hates the breathing treatments and it's always a battle during them. Tonight, during her 5th one she finally realized they don't hurt and we aren't going to stop them, and she finally cooperated!
Here she is in her dinosaur mask being such a good girl and getting her treatment:
When we left the hospital she got to ride in a wheelchair, which she really thought was cool!
Today was our first day at home with her after surgery and it went alright. It is impossible to keep this girl down. She just wants to play and dance all day. She hardly slept at all - just one quick nap. She did get sick this morning (I think from her pain medicine), but luckily hasn't again. She does complain of her throat and teeth hurting though and hasn't eaten much today because it hurts too bad. Hopefully it just gets better from here. Matt went to the store and stocked up on yogurt, popsicles, ice cream, jello, pudding, juice, etc. for her!
I am giving her pain medicine every 3 hours around the clock. Add that to Quinn being on his own eating schedule of every 2-3 hours and I'm not really sleeping!! We just are hoping for a fast recovery for Paiton and that it isn't too painful for her.
And just because he is the cutest boy in the world, here are a couple pictures of Quinn from today:





3 comments:

Joe, Riki, and Caydence said...

Wow P seems to be doing great. She must not notice the pain since she has had a sore throat her whole life :(. How horrible that she had to go through that, but it will get better now :). Give her loves from us, also mashed potatoes are good (incase she gets tired of sweet stuff)

Christine said...

Oh ash, I'm sorry you had to go through that! But it is always a good feeling knowing you did the right thing. Hoping for a very quick recovery for p town! You sure have cute babies! Being a mom is such a hard job sometimes. Especially when you are nursing and you are basically the only one who can feed your child. It's all too familiar! Hope life starts to slow down a bit for you. We need a playmate. Let me know when is good for ya :)

Christine said...

**play date that is!