Tabs

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

CranioSacral Therapy

Last week Quinn had his first session of CranioSacral therapy.
You can read about it here: 

You are probably thinking what I thought, "Um, yeah. Sure rubbing Quinn's head will help him out..." 
And after the first session, that was still my thought. He is mainly getting it to help kind of even him out - stop his fits (which aren't out of the normal spectrum for an almost 2 year old boy by any means), but also to hopefully help with all of his other issues - sensory and motor skills. 
During his first session she explained to me that the cerebral fluid in your skull and spine has a motion. If yours isn't moving enough, or correctly, it can cause lots of problems. She said it usually takes just a couple minutes for her to find the "motion" and make sure it's right, and if it's not, she makes it right. Quinn had ZERO motion for over half an hour. Apparently this is a bad thing. She finally got him started having some motion in his fluid and worked with him for about 40 minutes until the motion was normal and could sustain itself. (However that happens...) 
She said he should be happier and we should see changes. He's had an issue with hitting lately and if he's in a   time out, that's usually why. I did notice that day that a couple times he pulled back like he was going to hit, and then, just didn't! Other than that, no real changes. 
Yesterday was his second session. She said it was much easier to find, and get his motion going again. She thinks he had big changes during yesterdays session. I have to admit, he was a DELIGHT all afternoon. He's always, always sweet, but man does he have a temper. Yesterday, nothing!!! All afternoon he just kept coming up to me and Paiton saying "Hugs mommy? Muwah Mommy?" (kiss ;) ) and just being so loving and calm and even sweeter than normal (which I did NOT think was possible!) So, I'm eager to see what the coming weeks bring.
The one thing she did notice I'm eager to learn more about as well. Quinn has vestibular problems - this we know. For example, he won't look up. If he's taking a bath and getting his hair washed, he will NOT look up to get it wet or rinsed out. He's avoids looking up at all costs, just will NOT do it in any situation. Weird!! 
The PT who does his craniosacral therapy asked me about that and said that she noticed that any time he attempted to look up, his eyes shook. She said the same thing happens when (for example) you get off a merry go round, or are dizzy - your eyes will shake back and forth a specific number of times and that's how your body "rights" itself. She said Quinn's are doing that when he tries to look up, but far more than the "normal" amount, and she thinks something with that is causing him to refrain from looking up. I am supposed to ask his regular PT about it on Thursday, so we'll see what she says about it. 

That's my update on his newest therapy. :) I will post an Easter update soon, in fact - I already started it! 

No comments: