Tabs

Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Full Story

I guess I should share the story of baby #2. (Don't worry, not the WHOLE story!)
We were not trying to have a second baby, and this was a total shock to us. I've never really bought the "We're so surprised we're having a baby!" thing before, as it's usually followed by "Well but we weren't really trying not to!" In our case, we WERE trying not to! I took my pill every day at the same time, so this baby truly is a SHOCK baby! We are at a crazy time as we will be moving soon, and I don't even have health insurance! So as expensive as I thought Paiton was, this baby will be even more so!
I took a pregnancy test (Ok, 2!) on September 14, as a reassurance to myself that I wasn't pregnant. Well that backfired!! I don't remember what exactly I said in that Target bathroom, but I know it wasn't nice, and I know that it was followed with tears! We had hoped to have Paiton be older before adding a second baby to the crew. We just love her so much and want our special time with her, she is amazing. When this baby is born Paiton will be 2 1/2, which people say is a really good age difference to have in siblings.
At first we weren't super thrilled with having this decision be out of our hands. The day we found out, Matt confided in his good friend who had gone through the same thing. He bought us lottery tickets to play that day, since we had beaten the odds once, might as well try again! Since I am typing this from work, it's needless to say we didn't win!
I went to my first doctor appointment on Sept. 28. So far the only symptoms I was having was terrible morning sickness and extreme tiredness. Matt was still hoping to find out there wasn't actually a baby in there. As I was telling the doctor about my symptoms she was doing an ultrasound. I don't think I'll ever forget the first time we saw that baby on the screen. She said "There's the culprit!" And there it was, a little lima bean with a beating heart. She gave me my due date: May 20. Because I had lost 4 pounds in a week from being so sick and I couldn't even tell her the last time I had eaten food, she wanted to see me again in 2 weeks.
I went in yesterday for my 2nd ultrasound. This time Lima Bean Baby (as we have fondly started calling it, or Bean for short) had arms and legs! I got to see it wiggling around and got some more pictures, which I will upload later. This appointment I had lost another 2 pounds from continuing to be sick, but since the weight loss had slowed Dr. Jones said I didn't have to come back for another 4 weeks, when I'll get another ultrasound.
The first appointment the heartrate was 124, this time 180, which I am thrilled with because they say a fast heartrate means a girl! This was true for Paiton. We are obviously going to be happy with just a healthy baby, but we are both hoping for another girl! We love our little girly girl so much and we both just picture us having two girls, so send us some girly vibes! :)
We have told Paiton about it, and although I don't think she understands just yet, she says she wants to hold the baby, and she gives my belly kisses. We know she will be an amazing big sister, and quite the little helper mommy!
I continue to battle boughts of nausea along with being so tired all the time. I swear at any given time I could lay down and sleep for hours. It helps that Paiton is such a good girl all the time and I get to work from home. That way we can hang out in our jammies if I'm not feeling up to doing more than that!
Thanks for all the well-wishes everyone, we are excited to share this next journey in our lives with you!

2 comments:

Joe, Riki, and Caydence said...

2 babies, that's more than I can handle, but you will do great;)

Lynn said...

that is so exciting! surprise babies are the best. just wait, you will think you couldn't have planned it better if you had planned it!