Tabs

Monday, November 19, 2012

Peas Don't Put That Up Your Nose

Tonight we had a new experience. It perhaps makes me a bad mother. But it's still funny.
Quinn's had a cold for a few days, and hasn't been sleeping at all. Seriously, it's been five nights since I've slept more than an hour at a time, and five nights since I've slept more than three hours. I'm hurting. So is Quinn. Tonight I was getting him ready for bed and his nose has been so stuffy. I finally found the boogie sucker so I laid him down to suck out his nose. I sucked out one side, and got ready to do the other side when I noticed something green in his nose. I wasn't too alarmed since he's sick. Upon closer inspection I realize -- it was a pea. And it was waaaay up there. I tried to suck it out with the boogie sucker. No luck. So I called Matt - his solution was tweezers. Seemed a little dangerous, but so did a pea up the nose. I tried carefully to grab the pea with the tweezers, no luck. Then I started to panic. I posted the question in an online Mommy group I belong to and I called my mom. I told her either her or my dad needed to come get this pea out of Q's nose. They said they didn't know what to do and to call the online number at the hospital. When I worked in the ER we had kids come in all the time with stuff up their noses that the doctors would suck out. But there was no way I was paying $600 for someone to suck something out of his nose. While I was on hold with the nurse line some of my mom friends responded and said blow up the other side of his nose, or give him The Mothers Kiss - plug his nose and blow in his mouth. 
I laid him down, put my mouth over the other side of his nose, and blew. The pea moved!! I blew a few more times, pretty hard, and finally the pea shot out!!! Quinn was laughing hysterically, and also gagging a bit, but he thought it was hilarious! I did too once the pea shot across the room! So - the lesson is that if this ever happens, just blow that pea right out! ;) Now, the girls in my group are cracking jokes and teasing me that the pea's been in there about 5 days. It just so happens the last time Q had peas was the day before he got his cold.... The real test is whether he sleeps tonight. If he does, it may be safe to say that pea was up there for quite awhile....
Paiton while it was just her and I tonight told me a joke: 
Knock knock....Who's there?....Nose....Nose who?....Nose with a pea shoved up it! :)

I let P stay up late tonight and wait for Matt to get home. I was watching episodes of The Middle I had on the DVR. We love this show. On one of the episodes Sue (the daughter) is apologizing to Axl (her brother) for running over his foot with the car while learning to drive. She says "If I could have run over my own foot I would have! But it's just not possible!" 
Paiton said "Well Mom, actually it would be possible. If she sat in the driver's seat, she could leave the door open, then stick her foot outside the door, and back up the car, the tire would probably run over it. So she's not right!" 
She just makes me laugh so much, she's hilarious and way too smart. The connections she makes just amaze me.

No comments: