Tabs

Friday, January 7, 2011

Sleep specialist

Well, I have taken the next step in Paiton's sleep problems. As everyone knows Paiton has had trouble sleeping since the moment she was born and kicked out of the hospital nursery :)
For about the last year and a half she has had night terrors, or confusional arousals. Typically these happen once a night at about the same time every night and the remedy is to wake the child up about ten minutes before they usually occur to break the cycle. After awhile of doing that they usually stop. But nothing is typical with Paiton! She has them all night long and at all different times. Sometimes it is only once a night, but usually it's 5-10 times a night. She doesn't wake up, but she starts screaming, thrashing, punching, kicking, and crying. It's absolutely heartbreaking. She won't take a binky or listen to me and know I'm there. I have been researching these for ever and that part of her night terrors is very typical.
It's so hard and stressful on Matt and I. It keeps us both up most of the night and it's so hard to hear your kid screaming and crying and not be able to comfort them. Last night was another really, really awful night. They were only about 10 minutes apart, all night long. I don't think I slept more than about 10 minutes. Poor Matt was a zombie leaving for work today. I finally decided it was enough. I have talked to her pediatrician about it numerous times over the months but have always been told I just need to wait for her to outgrow them, which I know is the only way to get rid of them.
However at this point I would like to rule out other causes and get a second opinion on this. I can't have her getting such a bad night of sleep every night, and Matt and I are past the point of exhaustion. With another baby on the way this needs to get under control. I called her doctor today and requested that they refer us to a sleep specialist. This afternoon I got the call that Paiton's doctor does agree that something else needs to be done and they are referring us. On Monday I will call and set up an appt. I have no idea what to expect or what they'll do, but hopefully it will be simple and they'll just have some suggestions or something. I am willing to try anything at this point.
Just thought I'd update everyone on that.

1 comment:

Live.Laugh.Love said...

Good luck I hope they can help her out a most of all you before you go crazy..your such a good mommy if you ever need help we are always here for you guys