Tabs

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!
Here is a picture Paiton colored this morning all by herself, what a big girl! She sure loves to color and if she sees her crayons she will say "color!"

Last night we went to a play at Cameron's high school, my all time favorite musical....Bye Bye Birdie!! It was SO good and we had so much fun!! I got hooked on that musical when my cousin Riki (who is an awesome singer, and sang at my wedding!) was in the play when we were much younger. I have loved it ever since and know every word to every song!! It was fun and the kids did a really great job!

Last night at the play Nana noticed that Paiton was feeling a little warm. All through the night she had a fever and into this morning. I got concerned b/c she is already on her Macrobid that she takes every day for a year to prevent UTI's as a result of her kidney reflux, and she is on Amoxicillin for her double ear infections from last week sooo...she should NOT be having a fever. I called the doctor (who we single handedly keep in business) and hoped they didn't want to see her, but they did. So I took her in and they rechecked her ears, which looked fine. Dang!! Normal parents don't wish their kids have ear infections, but if you have a kid with kidney reflux you definitely wish it because the alternative is a catheter, which Paiton has had plenty of times in the past. In fact she is so scarred from it that the second we walk into the doctor's office she starts to panic and cling to me. When they listen to her heart you'd think they were abusing her the way she screams. It breaks my heart. So the doctor said the dreaded words "Yup, we have to cath her." Crap!
I hold her arms and head down while they do it (in slow motion, I swear). Paiton has gotten very good at clamping her legs together and making it extra difficult to do the procedure, and I can't blame her. If you have never had to hold your child down while someone does a catheter, consider yourself lucky. Every time I have to do that it absolutely destroys my heart. It takes every ounce of me not to bawl with her but I know that would scare her more.
They finally get it and come back to say that yes, she has had a breakthrough infection. It is hard to treat her infections because she is allergic to the best medicine for treating those - Sulfa's, so now we need to wait until they culture it to see which antibiotic will be best, and that will make 3 antibiotics that she is on right now! Until then I am to double her dose of her daily medicine, Macrobid, until I get the call. So I canceled my appointments for this afternoon to take care of my girl. It's such a good thing I work from home, any respectable job would have fired me long ago for all the time I would have missed for doctor's appointments and sick babies.
I know she is feeling miserable, but she still goes around the house singing "Backpack Backpack" which is the cutest thing ever!! And she still has energy to watch Dora, of course!!

Fitting, this was on the wall in our room at the doctors today:


No, it's not. Not for wimps at all.

3 comments:

Carol said...

My poor poor Pai Pai!! Nana is sorry you're sick. I love you baby girl! XOXOXOX

Derek and Lori said...

Ashley..I am so sorry that you are having to deal with the "stupid" catheter over and over again! That really stinks. I hope Paiton feels better soon.
Give her a smooch from me!!!
Love you.
Aunt Lori

Joe, Riki, and Caydence said...

Oh poor baby!! Tell her we love her and give lots of hugs and kisses from us.