Tabs

Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Binky Fairy

We have some very exciting news in Paiton's life! She has no been binky free for 3 days! 
Woohooo!! 
If you know Paiton, then you know that her binky was her most prized possession and her bestest friend. 
I knew this was not going to be easy. A few times before I'd take it away, and she'd find another one somewhere, or she'd be crying at a really inopportune time, so I'd pop one in her mouth. 
But the last one known to exist in the Locke house was on it's last leg. It was full of holes, which didn't bother her at all, she'd just suck on it with her finger in the middle plugging the holes. Nothing stopped her. 
One night it got lost in the middle of the night and it was torture because I couldn't find it anywhere. I did eventually find it the next day and I decided that was it, I was done spending 50% of my time searching for binkies! So when I put Paiton down for her nap I told her about the Binky Fairy. The Binky Fairy comes when little girls are asleep and takes their binkies to give to a brand new baby that has just been born and needs a binky. 
Paiton {very} tearfully kissed her binky good bye (it took everything in my very soul to choke back tears, seriously) and put it under her pillow. She was so brave but quietly cried and moaned "Binky" until she fell asleep. I promptly sat on the couch and cried myself. I had obviously broken my baby's heart into a million pieces. I felt AWFUL. It took every ounce of strength to not run in and give it to her, but I didn't. 
When she was asleep the Binky Fairy snuck in, took that old binky {stuck it in her baby box} and left her a surprise of M&Ms and Dora chapsticks!  
When Paiton woke up she was VERY surprised to see that the Binky Fairy had come! 
She was pleased with her prizes for being SUUUUCH a good girl (which I praised over and over) and she said she was happy that a new baby got her binky. 
Hmm. Easier than I had anticipated.

The real test would be that night. Well, that was 3 nights ago and we haven't heard a request for the binky at all! Once in her sleep she asked for it and I just told her that the Binky Fairy had taken it and that was that. Yesterday she looked at me and said "I didn't tell Tinkerbell thank you for my binky presents!" After which she yelled up at the ceiling "Thank you Tinkerbell!" and again told me she was happy to give her binky to a new baby. 
She absolutely floored me with her big girlness.
I was shocked at how easy (and heartbreaking) it was to do that, but also how rewarding. She's so big. 
I love that girl. 
She has proudly told her Binky Fairy story to her Daddy, Nannie, Papa, Abba, Titi, and Ema. She is very proud of herself, as she well should be!! 
We are proud of you too Paiton, you never cease to amaze me!!

And in other news; I continue to have the cutest kids in the world!!!



Also thanks to Nannie and Ema for offering to come babysit Quinn last night so Matt and I could take Paiton on a very special date to see The Lion King in theaters! It's only out for 2 weeks and Paiton has been very patiently waiting months to go see it! She loved it and said it was "really cute" and enjoyed the music. 
I'm glad to have those precious memories to share of my sweet babies!!

**I'm going to set my blog back to private. If you read this, let me know and I'll invite you to be a reader. I know I have readers across the country because I can see you all on my tracker! :) I love that and am a blog stalker myself, so if you'd like to continue reading about our adventures, leave me a comment or shoot me an email with your email address so I can invite you!!**

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

You do have darling children and Paiton is such a big girl to give her binky to a new baby who will enjoy it as much as she did. Hugs and Kisses to all of you.

Derek and Lori said...

I love that story. I am proud of her for being a big girl, but I think I am more proud of you for sticking to your guns!! Yay Ashley ! It is so hard sometimes as a mom when you think you are making your kid sad, but believe me, it will pay off later, as it only gets harder sometimes! Love you and miss you
XOXOXOXOXOXOXO