Tabs

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Sickies

I.HATE.WINTER. 
Hate, hate, hate.

Our kids don't get sick too often, but when they do, they do it well. 
Last Wednesday Paiton got a bad cough and a low fever. I made her suffer through Thursday, Friday, Saturday, see where I'm going here? Finally on Monday I took her in to the doctor to see if she should go to school Tuesday.
Turns out the little babe had two ear infections and one ruptured ear drum. Her fourth ruptured ear drum in a year. The kicker - she didn't even feel the pain. Had NO idea she had ear infections. NOT a good sign. That earned us a trip to the ENT next week to schedule a time for her to get tubes. Fabulous! 
Tuesday, Quinn developed the same. Not too bad, but just not feeling great. Wednesday he got worse, and while Paiton was at dance he spiked a fever of 103.5 out of nowhere, turned beet red, and started screaming "Owie!" and pointing to his chest. We headed to Primary Health (Ew, can I just say how much I HATE that place!). The doctor really was convinced he had influenza and swabbed him. To our surprise it came back negative. There was nothing they could do to help him so we just came home. :( That's not really THAT high of a fever for Quinn, he can throw a 105, 106 degree fever like it's nothing and scare the daylights out of Matt and I, BUT I think this is the sickest I've seen him. He wanted to sleep in my bed last night - which is crazy because he is so not a snuggler. He had a really hard time and spent most of the night awake and whimpering to me. Broke my heart. We got up a few times, played "I've got your nose." and snuggled for hours. This morning he was so uncomfortable and miserable that he just didn't know what to do with himself. He finally sat up and just sat on the bed coughing. Eventually he fell asleep sitting up and then tipped over, which made him so mad! 
Poor kid! Right now I'm very thankful for the lull in work (though when rent comes due I may not be...) because these are the times I'm so glad to be able to be here with my sick kids. (Remind me of this when I come down with this crap and they're being little monsters...) ;) 

After I got Paiton from school today, we stopped in the snow to grab a few pictures. Sickie Quinn watched from the warm car with his pink cheeks: 

I posted this on Facebook this morning at 3 am so that I wouldn't forget it, I wanted to post it here!

At least Quinn is still extremely polite even at 3am with a fever of 103.5. "Mama, apple please." "Mama binkie please." "Oh thank you." (After I gave him Motrin.) "Bink mama. Thank you." (handing me his binkie to hold so he could take a drink) seriously, sweetest baby ever.

He really, truly is the kindest little baby! He says "please" and "thank you" for EVERYTHING. What baby says thank you when you give them medicine!? He's just got a good soul, like I've said since he was born. We are SO lucky to have these kids. Even if one is sassy and one is a monster. ;) They have good hearts.

No comments: