Tabs

Thursday, September 25, 2008

My Sweet Keilah

Well Matt and I struggled through one of our worst days ever yesterday! Luckily I am off on Wednesdays. Right after Matt left for work at about 6:40 am I heard Keilah fall on the wood floor. This alone isn't weird, they're always slipping on the wood. When I got up to look and make sure she was ok, she couldn't stand up. She was laying on her side kind of paddling her little legs but not able to walk. She saw me and tried to get to me but was running into the walls and the couch. I picked her up and realized that she was having a seizure. It was probably the scariest thing I've ever seen. I couldn't do anything for her and she looked so scared. I put her back down and put on some flip flops, put Kotah downstairs, grabbed my purse and keys and ran out the door. I kept almost dropping her as I took her to the car because she was seizing so badly. It lasted about 5 minutes. I took her to the emergency vet and Matt met us there. As soon as we started driving she stopped shaking and just laid in the passenger seat with these big sad eyes. They gave her some Valium to calm her down and she did great, although she did eat out one of the IV's they put in her. That's my girl :) Then they sent us to her regular vet once they opened. She was "hospitalized" there for the day so they could observe her and make sure she didn't have any more seizures. Luckily she didn't but she was diagnosed with epilepsy. I didn't even know that dogs could have epilepsy. It was really scary and I spent the day crying and being really upset and scared. We got to pick her up at about 5 pm and bring her home. Kotah was very happy to see her and she seemed a little tired but mostly like her normal self. I stayed up most the night checking on her and making sure she didn't have another one and am working from home today so that I can watch her. So far we are doing ok. The doctor said that she may just have seizures the rest of her life, and if that's the case she'll need to be on anti-seizure medications. Or we may get lucky and she may never have another one, however Matt and I have a 5 year history going on of being the most unlucky people ever, so we'll have to see what happens.
On a slightly funny (it's funny now) note, DishTV came out yesterday to install a dish so could have real TV. The guy took one look at the big trees around our house and said "Nope. Not going to work, too many branches". Then he suggested that he dig a hole, pour some concrete, mount a big pole in the concrete, and then put a satellite dish on top of the pole....IN MY FRONT YARD. So I told him "Um, no" and asked him to leave. Of course, we can't even have TV go right for us! Is this a joke!?
Anyway, everyone please think of little Keilah and say a little prayer that she doesn't have any more seizures and she is healthy. She is my best friend in the world and I don't know what I would do without her! Here are some things we love about our little La La:
1. She talks like she is a person, she'll tell you when she's hungry, needs to go potty, or wants to play with her bone.
2. She can spell. We had to stop saying "bone" because she would get so excited and freak out, and now she knows that b-o-n-e means bone. Smart little bugger.
3. She is a very good snuggler. One of her favorite places to be is curled up next to my tummy snuggling Paiton.
4. She is Kotah's second half. They love each other so much it's almost like they're real people.
5. Sometimes we forget she is a dog because she acts like a person. It's true - I have entire conversations with her. She's a good listener!
We are lucky to have the two cutest, funniest, sweetest dogs I've ever met and we love them so much!!! Paiton is going to have a lot of fun with these little guys!!
There she is! That was last night after we got her home from the vet with her pretty little scarf they always give their patients :)

No comments: