Tabs

Friday, February 17, 2012

Oops

Last night I was snuggling in bed with Paiton {who has been back in our bed recently due to her night terrors coming back. : / She's started being violent during them again and kicking the wall she and Quinn share.} when Matt came running upstairs, opened the bedroom door and said "Ashley you have to come downstairs right now. Right now, get down here now!" I asked "Why?" a few times and he just kept telling me to get down there. I thought he flooded something or broke something or lost a dog. But as I'm following him downstairs he says while panting "I have to make myself throw up!"
...
Come to find out Matt accidentally* took one of Keilah's pills she takes for Epilepsy. He took 32.5 mg of Phenobarbital and then panicked. I tried to calm him down**and told him that humans take Phenobarbital too and that it's not just for dogs. He was pretty sure he needed to induce vomiting and that the worst was going to happen. I hopped on the internet and searched about overdosing on it and tried to find a regular "human" dose. Finally I just called Poison Control. The lady was really nice*** and got some information. She told me that they prescribe 30 mg to sedate people and that a normal does was between 30-60 mg. She said he would be fine, did NOT need to throw up, and that he would just be tired and maybe a bit groggy in the morning. She also gave me the OK to make fun of him.
Matt was happy to hear he would live, not happy to hear that I was going to continue teasing him, and eager to go to bed. This morning he reported being fine but just a bit foggy in the head.
Funny that 30 mg makes a grown man feel that way but my tiny, 15 pound dog takes 60 mg a day and is still a complete psycho.

* - You might be wondering how one "accidentally" takes a dogs pill. That was the first question out of my mouth. Matt says that he got Keilah's pill to give her, then was going through his tennis bag getting it ready for today, picked up the Advil bottle, shook it to make sure there were some in there, then got a drink of water and took the pill in his hand - which is his routine before tennis. He thinks he just subconsciously took it b/c he had just had Advil in his hand. I don't know. Needless to say I teased him about taking any pills that happen to be in his hands and we taught Paiton to say "Just say NO to drugs." Hehe.
** - I did try to calm him down. It may have been difficult considering I was literally choking on laughter. I'm the person you may not want near by when you're panicking because chances are, I'm going to laugh at you. I can't help it. It comes from my mom. If you trip and fall - I'll ask if you're ok, but only after I double over in laughter. Sorry about that. But I did try to calm him down. Laughing can be calming, right?!
*** - The lady was really nice. I may have still been laughing when I talked to her and she may have started laughing as well once she looked it all up and said he'd be fine. When she said "do you have any other questions?" And I said "Is it ok if I continue to laugh at hime?" And she said "Well, I would." I felt a little less bad for laughing. ;)

Overall it was an interesting event, hopefully it doesn't happen again (as I saw him getting the pill to give her this morning I may have thrown out a "Now Matt, that's a DOG pill, don't take it, ok?") and Matt is just fine (so far...) so it had an ok outcome.
{{And by the way - I did warn Matt that I was going to post this on the blog!}}
Love ya Matty!! =)

2 comments:

Joe, Riki, and Caydence said...

Nice!!! I agree I'm not much help either. Joe has gashed his legs and dropped a heavy sheet of glass on his foot and I had to stop laughing before I could be of any help. This may have been helpful to let them know before they married us :-} MUHAHAHA

Unknown said...

It must be genetic.... people falling (particularly if going up or down stairs) is the funniest thing to me! I feel really bad for laughing, but I still can't help it :)