Paiton and Quinn have had colds the last few days, as I posted about. Around 1 am Paiton woke up screaming that her left ear hurt. Obviously I knew it was infected so I gave her some Motrin and made her wait it out until morning. I'm not the mom that's going to run a kid to the ER for an ear infection, sorry kids!!
This morning she woke up and wanted to go to school and on her field trip and kept telling me her ear was fine, even though I knew it still hurt because she was holding it. Eventually when I told her we could still go on her field trip if she felt like it, she admitted that her ear was still really hurting. I made her an appt for after the field trip!
We went to Michael's craft store. (Or "crap" store as Paiton calls it!) They did a little treasure hunt through the store, and then made a picture at the end. It was fun and the kids loved it.
Listening to the lady teach them about texture:
She drew a picture and it is SO cute! It's a picture of her, and her two dogs!! Each dog even has 4 legs!! I love it!!
When the field trip was over I broke her heart by saying she couldn't ride the bus back to school but had to go with me to the doctor instead. She was a very good girl and let the doctor looked in both ears. Sure enough, the left was very infected and bulging and the right one was infected as well, just not as bad (yet!).
Her regular pediatrician wasn't there so we had to see a different one. We ended up seeing the Developmental Pediatrician. I decided to take advantage and talk to her about Quinn. I have just had this feeling that we need to do something about his lack of crawling, standing, etc. And Matt agreed. She was super nice and even though it was Paiton's appointment she checked Quinn out, did a couple things with him, and examined his legs. As soon as she looked at his legs she told me that he has very low muscle tone. I told her about him - he is sitting, and he can roll anywhere he wants to go, but he won't get on all 4's, won't pull to a stand, will only stand for a few seconds if I stand him up, and won't bear weight on his legs most of the time. She said the reason he isn't doing any of this is because he can't. He doesn't have the muscle to do it. That broke my heart! :( I told her I had been wondering if I needed to get in touch with the Infant/Toddler program and have him evaluated (after all, this is what I do for a living) and she said definitely! She said she thinks that with some physical therapy and rebuilding of his muscles, he will be just fine and will eventually crawl and walk.
So now we wait. I called and made the first appointment. Luckily they come to you if you want so I won't have to drag both kids around. On the 17th we have an "interview". They'll do a bunch of questionnaires with us to see what areas he needs therapy in and make sure he's on target in other areas. After that they will set up another appointment to do his evaluations to get him approved for physical therapy and anything else he might need. Hopefully that's all, but we'll have to wait and see. I'm glad we got the ball rolling since it will take awhile to actually get the therapy started, but it's a bummer it has to happen at all. :( I have heard from some girls in a group I belong to that physical therapy at this age is actually pretty fun for the babies, so I'm hoping that's the case and that Quinn won't have too long a road ahead of him to get to where he needs to be. He's the sweetest boy in the whole world and we are so thankful for him.
Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







2 comments:
Sorry about little Quinn but maybe now he'll just start to crawl like P did! Afterall, the doc started to talk to you about the same thing with her around this age! Obviously that might not happen again because of him actually having low muscle tone but we can still keep our fingers crossed! ;). Good job looking into it! Good thing you know what you're doing! ;)
Paiton was different - we knew she COULD b/c she could pull to stand, get on all 4's, walk around the table, etc., she just refused to crawl! But yeah, poor Quinn has a reason he isn't. So of course I'll still work with him and do the stuff I've been doing and help him, but they have to actually build muscle in his legs and hips in order for him to progress.
Post a Comment