I have a few minutes right now so I wanted to share our story with everyone! Here it is:
On Wednesday, November 12 I got a phone call from my mom saying that I was going to go into labor that day and to call her when I do! I told her not to jinx it and not to expect it! It was a normal day, I worked from home, raked some leaves, cleaned house, etc. After Matt's school got out he called and asked if I was bored. There were a couple basketball games at school that afternoon and he wanted to come pick me up and take me to watch. We went and ate some nachos and watched some middle school basketball. While we were there I had 2, maybe 3 little contractions, nothing major. We needed some groceries so Matt thought we should go walk around Wal Mart and see if anything progressed with the contractions. We did and as we were walking to the check out I immediately began having stronger contractions. There were consistently three minutes apart as we walked through the store. When we got to the car they were two minutes apart. I figured they'd fade away, as Dr. Jones had told me to come in when they were eight minutes apart, so surely they couldn't just start at two minutes apart! I called my mom and told her that we were going to go home and watch the CMA's and see what happened. We got home and they got really strong and painful. We hurried and put groceries away and headed to the hospital. When we got there Matt wheeled me up to L&D and the contractions were still two minutes apart but really strong and really painful. They checked me and I was dilated to a 2, not much progress since my appointment. They put me in the labor tub for about an hour, which helped, as did Matt helping me breathe through them and pushing on my hips. An hour into that they checked me again and I was still a 2. They ordered an epidural as they were going to try and dilate me by hand, which they told me would be really painful without an epi. So we got put in a room and waited for the anesthesiologist. By this time my family and Matt's mom had arrived. My mom came in and she and Matt helped me breathe through the contractions. The nurse was not my biggest fan, but then again she is the one who decided to ask me questions while I was having contractions and feeling like my body was being torn apart! One of our conversations went like this:
Nurse: How bad is your pain right now on the pain scale?
Me: Twenty five hundred!
Nurse: (Rolls her eyes) 1 - 10
Me: Uh, TEN!
Nurse: How do you learn best - visual, audio, practicing, or any way?
Me: I! DON'T! CARE! (Seriously, is this an important question right now!?)
Then the drug man came! Yay!! The epi was actually more painful than I had anticipated, but SO worth it in the end. Not even 5 minutes after he started it I wasn't feeling the contractions anymore. It was awesome! The nurse came over to hand dilate me and when she checked I was an ..... EIGHT!! I went from a 2 to an 8 that quick. So we waited and Mom, Dad, Spencer, Cami, Carissa, Cadon, Grandma, Aunt Lisa, and Kathy were all there in the room with us. Time is kind of a blur for me so I don't know exactly when certain things happened, but the nurse checked me again later and I was a 10. She had me sit up so that gravity could help Paiton drop lower. I stayed that way for a little while, then we kicked everyone out and the nurse taught me how to push since I couldn't feel my contractions. I pushed for awhile, then Dr. Jones got there and the real pushing began. That I could feel! I only had to push for about 40 minutes and out came little Paiton! They did have to use the vacuum on her head to help get her out, but out she came! It was amazing to hear her little cry and Matt was shocked and in awe. He didn't think he wanted to watch her be born, but once it started he watched the whole thing and thought it was awesome. He also cut the umbilical cord! Then they took Paiton over to do all her testing, look her over, and whatever else they do! I missed all of that because I was getting my tear stitched and cleaned up. After what seemed like forever they finally brought her to me and told me all her information! It was so awesome to see what she looked like. She has the chubbiest little cheeks and I just love her so much. Matt was the best thing I could have asked for. He let me squeeze his hands, he helped me breathe, he didn't let me give up even when I was sure I wanted to. I think he did much better than I did and I am so grateful to have had him there and for him to be so great!
Everyone got to hold her and meet her and get their picture taken with her. Eventually they let me up to go to the bathroom, which was interesting since my right leg was still numb! Then we got wheeled to our real room, which ended up being really tiny and I wish we could have stayed in the delivery room! Matt took Paiton to the nursery to get her first bath. We were so lucky because my first friend I ever made when we moved here, Kjeranne, was working in the nursery! She washed Paiton's hair and videotaped him giving her her bath! How lucky for him! I was jealous when he got back with the clean little baby!
We stayed in the hospital until Saturday afternoon, then we headed home. We had some visitors and everyone seemed to love her so much! She is so perfect and there is no way I could have imagined how I would feel about her. She is so much fun and so beautiful. Her dark blue eyes and dark hair are too cute! Here are some things we already know about Paiton: she squeaks a lot! She squeaks when she is happy, sleeping, crying, all the time! She has a very distinct cry and I immediately was able to recognize it when she was out of the room. We know that she hates to be naked and uncovered, she is very modest. We know that she is the single most beautiful baby ever, and I know everyone says that, but it's actually true about my baby :)
Matt and I made this video. We have loved this song for a really long time and have always wanted to have a baby girl to make a video to it. Now we have one! We spent a lot of time on it this afternoon and cried throughout the whole thing! I hope you guys all like it and get to see some good pictures of Paiton.
Thank you to everyone for helping us. We need it!! I am going to go snuggle my baby and my hubby now =)
Ok well the slideshow isn't working. I guess we'll have to email it to everyone. So here are a few pictures to hold you over :)





2 comments:
Congratulations, she is beautiful. I love her sweet little cheeks. You area lucky mom!
she is BEAUTIFUL!!!! congratulations ashley!! i am so glad everything went well for you! I can't wait to meet her :)
Post a Comment